- Category: Shopping
- Created on Tuesday, 30 August 2011 20:07
- Hits: 24310
The Mediterranean Cosmos mall is by far the largest mall in Northern Greece and one of the largest in Southeastern Europe. Many visitors from the nearby regions and the nearby countries visit the Mediterranean Cosmos everyday, and it is a favourite destination for shopping trips in Thessaloniki.
It is a very nice and convenient place for shopping clothing, shoes, eyewear, homeware, books, electronics, sweets – practically everything! It also boasts a large food court with Greek and international kitchen, a Grand Masoutis supermarket, a bowling alley, cafeterias, restaurants and a 11-screen Village Cinemas multiplex (which also has an open-air screen for the summer!).
You can easily spend a whole day at the Mediterranean Cosmos, especially if you are prone to overspending! You may also combine your visit with a trip at the Magic Park theme park which is right next door and the IKEA store which is 500 m off the Mediterranean Cosmos (follow signs towards “local roads”).
A good thing is that Mediterranean Cosmos works a lot with foreign visitors of the city, hence all signage and all services are both in Greek and English. In fact, at weekends, tourist buses from as far as Skopje and Beograd and visitors even from Bucharest and Istanbul visit the Mediterranean Cosmos, as part of their Thessaloniki shopping spree.
Our personal picks are the TGI Friday’s restaurant, the Playhouse cafeteria (lots of board games!) and the Public electronics’, gadgets’ and books’ megastore. Of course, you will also find your own favourite places after a few visits!
Grand Masoutis supermarket:
09:00 – 02:00
All shops in Thessaloniki are closed on Sundays and on holidays, and this is also the case with Mediterranean Cosmos.
Mediterranean Cosmos is located at the eastern part of the city, at the highway to Chalkidiki, 11 km from the city centre, 4 km after leaving Thessaloniki. It is much easier to visit it by car or by taxi.
From the centre of Thessaloniki
- Take Egnatia St. eastbound and eventually you will reach the Chalkidiki highway. There is a signed exit towards Mediterranean Cosmos.
- Take the seaside Megalou Alexandrou Ave. eastbound and while still being inside the city grid follow the signs towards the airport (i.e. at the Concert Hall Y-junction turn LEFT towards Georgiou Papandreou St.). At the Ring Road junction follow the signs towards Halkidiki. Alternatively, you may take the airport road and steer off at IKEA – Mediterranean Cosmos is right behind IKEA.
From Katerini, Platamonas, Litochoro, FYROM, Bulgaria, Turkey and anywhere else except Halkidiki
- Take the Ring Road to avoid the city traffic and follow the signs towards Halkidiki. Once you leave the Ring Road and exit to the Halkidiki highway, Mediterranean Cosmos is 2 km to your right.
- Take the highway towards Thessaloniki – it’s 11 km before the Thessaloniki centre. You can’t miss it!
- Bus 36 serves Mediterranean Cosmos every 15-20 minutes from the Voulgari Terminal. You may take bus 31 to Voulgari Terminal from Egnatia St. and then change buses there. Alternatively, you may take any bus towards IKEA Terminal and walk to Mediterranean Cosmos – it takes about 10 minutes. You may find more information at the OASTh website.
- If you are visiting Mediterranean Cosmos on a Saturday try to be there before noon, as the parking lot fills quickly on Saturdays.
- Often, there are visitors of the city that ask for directions towards Mediterranean Cosmos – hence, people seem to get lost easily looking for Mediterranean Cosmos. Before going for shopping, try using the Google Maps “Directions” tool to navigate yourself from your residence towards “Mediterranean Cosmos, Thessaloniki, Greece”.
- Have a look at our “Shopping in Thessaloniki” and “Money Matters” articles before starting spending!
...You Also May Be Interested In...